| Fast Facts on SonicGDK
Latest Version: 1.20.036
Latest Release Date: 20/Feb/2014
Engine: Unreal Engine 3
SonicGDK (short for 3D Sonic Games Development Kit) is a codebase, a collection of source codes, which allows anyone to create 3D platformer video games based on the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise. It can be freely modified and is integrated with the UDK, providing you with a modern game engine in which to develop your game. Unreal Development Kit (UDK) is the free edition of Unreal Engine 3, a complete professional development framework used to create games on the PC.
The custom assets bundled with SonicGDK were created by several contributors and supplied for testing purposes.
SonicGDK is built on top of the UDK which features:
- Complete editing environment through UnrealEd, a WYSIWYG tool to allow content creation.
- Multi-threaded rendering system, supporting a wide range of post-processing effects and real-time shaders.
- Lighting and shadowing system, including screen space ambient occlusion and global illumination.
- Animation system with full control of skeletal-based animations.
- Scripting, through UnrealScript (an object-oriented programming language) or Unreal Kismet (a visual scripting solution).
- Realistic world physics powered by Nvidia's PhysX; destructible environments through the fracture tool; particle effects system to add fire, smoke, rain, dust...
- In-game cinematics and cut scenes with control over all objects in a scene.
- Terrains through a deformable base height map with multiple layers of blended textures.
- Navigation meshes and node-based navigation systems for artificial intelligence.
- Bink video codec, SpeedTree foliage editor, FaceFX facial animation, Scaleform GFx Flash-based graphics, Allegorithmic Substance dynamic textures.
SonicGDK provides the following additional features and objects:
- Basic movement, including Sonic Physics.
- Rolling spinball, SpinDash move.
- Constrained paths, custom cameras subsystem.
- Water volumes, underwater physics, running on water.
- Smashing, pushing and hanging subsystems.
- Damage and drowning subsystems.
- Monitors, shields and orbs (wisp powers).
- Rings, springs, dash rings, dash panels, bumpers, spikes, spiked balls, giant air bubbles, giant rings, red rings.
- Reverse world gravity.
- Sonic's special moves.
- Super forms.
- Basic badniks, with Orbinaut.
- Checkpoint and music subsystems.
- Gamepad support.
- Special Stage.
- Save slots.
- Custom menus and loading movies.
- WASD or arrow keys for character movement.
- Mouse movement for camera turning.
- Left-mouse-button or Left-control to jump.
- Right-mouse-button or C to crouch.
- Space-bar or Left-shift or Right-shift to perform special move.
- Q to quick step left.
- E to quick step right.
- Mouse-wheel to zoom the camera in/out.
- Pause to pause game.
- Escape to show menu.
- Left-thumbstick all directions for character movement.
- Left-trigger or D-pad left or Right-thumbstick left to turn left.
- Right-trigger or D-pad right or Right-thumbstick right to turn right.
- Right-thumbstick up or D-pad up to look up.
- Right-thumbstick down or D-pad down to look down.
- A to jump.
- B to crouch.
- X or Y to perform special move.
- Left-shoulder to quick step left.
- Right-shoulder to quick step right.
- Left-thumbstick (press) or Right-thumbstick (press) to reset camera angle.
- Start to pause game.
- Back to show menu.
3 types of Sonic are playable and have many of the following abilities:
- Spin: While walking, press crouch to make Sonic curl into a rolling attack. He'll remain in this position until you jump or slow down.
- Spin Dash: While crouching, press jump to have Sonic rev up with a stationary spin. Keep tapping or holding down jump to build up momentum, and release crouch to dash off with a full speed rolling attack.
- Homing Dash: jump, then press jump again while in midair to home in on the nearest target within a range.
- Jump Dash: jump, then press jump again while in midair to get a little horizontal speed boost.
- Light Dash: While walking next to a rings trail, press special move once to fly at light speed along the trail.
- Quick Step: While running at high speed, press one of the quick step buttons to quickly move aside.
- Speed Dash: While standing still or walking at low speed, press special move once to get a little speed boost.
- Boost: While running, hold down special move to run much faster. It consumes energy.
- Stomp: jump, then press crouch and release it to crash down against the floor.
- Shield Dash: jump, then press special move to perform a special attack. You need an elemental shield.
- Super/Hyper Transformation: jump, then press special move to transform. You need Chaos Emeralds.
A series of tutorials that explain how to use SonicGDK: