Sonic Time Twisted
|Fast Facts on Sonic Time Twisted|
Sonic Time Twisted is a fan-made attempt, headed by Overbound, to make a new game that borrows some key elements from Sonic CD, including time travel, to make it one of the more unique Sonic fan games out there, while still being very true to the classic Genesis/Mega Drive games. The game has been in development since 2006, though since then, Sonic Time Twisted went through a total revamp twice, so as such all demos are based on various older builds of Sonic Time Twisted.
The storyline will take space through a number of cut scenes through out the game similar in style to Sonic 3&K or the few scattered around in Sonic CD. Not too much detail has been given yet but it can be said that it involves Sonic, Metal Sonic, Dr. Robotnik, the Time Stones, Chaos Emeralds, and mysterious UFOs.
Sonic Time Twisted is a Game Maker based game, currently being programmed by Mercury using his very accurate AeStHete engine. Older builds used Damizean and RougeYoshi's Xmas Gift 360º engine. The gameplay parallels the Genesis games using similar level design which includes a large number of gimmicks for each zone. The game also grabs elements from Sonic CD, including time travel in two time zones and the time stones.
Only two zones of Sonic Time Twisted have made it into a playable form thus far. Note that they used to use the "Round" notation from Sonic CD, with Zones as the individual levels, but it has since reverted to the Sonic 1 style Zone/Act notation.
- Viridian Valley Zone: a Green Hill Zone style area with a twist, with the city in the back and lots of grab bars and fan launchers. The past is overgrown and tropical, with far less civilization in sight. Formerly known as "Disport Drive".
- Perplex Puzzle Zone: an intricate, labyrinthine, partially sunken temple with influences from Tidal Tempest - the first part of this round is playable in the SAGE 2010 demo, but the level is being reworked for a later place in the game.
Other currently planned zones in Sonic Time Twisted include:
- Attraction Attack Zone: an amusement park partially under the control of Dr. Robotnik in the future, but still under construction in the past; equal parts Collision Chaos, Spring Yard Zone, and Casino Night Zone.
- Frigid Fortress Zone: an abandoned castle repurposed by the nefarious doctor into a robot factory. Take out his machines in the future, or explore the castle in the past.
- Quaking Quarry Zone: The heart of Robotnik's operation is here, where he intends to unearth the secret of the Time Stones. In the past, labyrinthine natural cave systems and tall mountains have not yet been touched.
Originally the game's soundtrack was composed by LarkSS, but due to various reasons, he became unable to continue making the music shortly prior to SAGE 2010. The new version of the soundtrack is being mainly composed by Zach Hinchy, though there are a few tracks from the original incarnation being carried over (such as the theme of Perplex Puzzle Past). The SAGE 2010 demo features the new title theme and the Perplex Puzzle Future theme from the new soundtrack; additional finished and work-in-progress music from the soundtrack can be listened to at the soundtrack repository. Upon completion, the soundtrack, with the title Two Ages, is intended to be formally (but still freely) released as a downloadable OST.
- Overbound: Lead Graphic Designer, Lead Level Designer
- Mercury: Lead Programmer
- Zach Hinchy: Lead Music Composer, Additional Graphics and Concept
- LarkSS: Additional Music
- Gardow : Character Design
- MFZB: Character Design
- MystHedgehog: Character Design
- AeroGP: Programming Support
- Damizean: Programming Support & Art Design
- RogueYoshi: Programming Support
Note that almost all of these screenshots are outdated as of the 2010 switch to Mercury's engine.
- SAGE 2006: Best in Show runner-up
Sonic Time Twisted SAGE 2010 Demo (12.7MB)
Sonic Time Twisted SAGE 2009 Demo (9.08MB)