From Sonic Retro
- Back to: Sonic Jam.
Sonic Jam has gone through various changes over its development process. The following details several of these changes.
Early in development, the game was reportedly known under the working title of Sonic 3D. According to developer Neil Harding, the 3D Special Stages in the Saturn version of Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island were taken directly from an early version of Sonic Jam at the behest of Sega of Japan, who was growing upset with Jam's delays and wished to use the code elsewhere.
The name Sonic Jam was suggested by Satoshi Okano, who was inspired by '90s hip hop culture. The runner-up name was Sonic Mania, suggested by Kazuyuki Hoshino. The name Sonic Mania was eventually used for a game released in 2017.
Early game design
"Digital Manual" option selected
The third mission is "ALL RINGS" and the eighth mission is "ALL POINTS". In the final release the third mission is "50 RINGS" and the eighth mission is "100 RINGS".
- @assemblytutor on Twitter (Wayback Machine: 2023-09-02 08:26)
- @assemblytutor on Twitter (Wayback Machine: 2023-07-05 22:09)
- "Yes. Here's one! I liked music of the UK/Bjork.Under World. I liked 90's hip-hop of NY at the same time. SONICJAM title and the catch phrase of 'KICK IT JAM are affected by the hip-hop/ De La Soul,Public Enemy,A.T.C.Q,Jangle Brothers.", @okanotion on Twitter (Wayback Machine: 2020-04-14 00:56)
- "Yes. Finally 2 plans that remained were my "SONIC JAM" and "SONIC MANIA" of Hoshino-san. He used this title 23 years later. You know it😀", @okanotion on Twitter (Wayback Machine: 2022-01-29 15:18)
- [gamefan, issue 0506, page 70 gamefan, issue 0506, page 70]
- File:GameFan US 0506.pdf, page 70