Sonic Gems Collection
From Sonic Retro
(Redirected from Sonic Gems Collection (GameCube) US Manual)
|Sonic Gems Collection|
|Developer: Sonic Team|
|Game total: 11 (15 in the JP version)|
|System(s): PlayStation 2, GameCube|
|Original system(s): Sega Mega Drive, Sega Game Gear, PC, Arcade|
Sonic Gems Collection (ソニック ジェムズ コレクション) is a compilation of more obscure Sonic games. The compilation is a Nintendo GameCube exclusive in the United States, but has also been released on PlayStation 2 in Europe and Japan. A Xbox version of the game was planned, but was later canceled.
The PlayStation 2 version contains both Japanese and American regional data, including different released manuals scans and alternate and differing versions of games (for example, Sonic CD has both the Japanese and American soundtracks). The game will load the data depending on the language the console is set on. The GameCube version only has the language for the region of release in the game data.
SegaSonic the Hedgehog was initially planned as a title to be included in this compilation but was left out due to problems with emulating the game's original trackball control scheme. There is also an entire art section of the museum dedicated to Knuckles Chaotix, which may indicate that Chaotix may have been planned for inclusion, but was left out instead. Sonic Eraser was also considered for inclusion in the compilation.
- 1 Games included
- 2 Unlockable games
- 3 Game demos
- 4 Differences between the Gems and Previous versions
- 5 Manuals
- 6 Production credits
- 6.1 Sega of Japan, Inc.
- 6.2 Sonic the Fighters (Console Conversion Credits)
- 6.3 Sonic the Hedgehog CD (Console Conversion Credits)
- 6.4 Sonic R (Console Conversion Credits)
- 6.5 Sega of America, Inc.
- 6.6 Sega Europe, Ltd.
- 6.7 COMOLINK Inc.(Mega Drive & Genesis, Game Gear Console Conversion Credits)
- 6.8 WAVEMASTER
- 7 Sales data
- 8 Artwork
- 9 Physical scans
- 10 External links
- 11 References
- Sonic the Hedgehog CD (Sega Mega-CD, port of PC version)
- Sonic the Fighters (Sega Model 2B CRX (Arcade), ported by Sega AM2)
- Sonic R (Sega Saturn, port of PC version)
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2
- Sonic Spinball
- Sonic Triple Trouble
- Sonic Drift 2: Sonic Drift 2 keeps its multiplayer mode.
- Tails' Skypatrol
- Tails Adventure
Only the Vectorman games are available outside of Japan in order to keep the ESRB's "Everyone" rating.
- Vectorman 2
- Bonanza Bros. (JP version only)
- Streets of Rage (JP version only)
- Streets of Rage 2 (JP version only)
- Streets of Rage 3 (JP version only)
Games from Sonic Mega Collection Plus can be unlocked in a "demo" form. These are actually the full games, but play automatically begins at the last level or final boss with a time limit imposed on play time. There are cheat device codes available which will freeze the time limit, allowing the game to played through fully.
Differences between the Gems and Previous versions
Sonic the Hedgehog CD
- The US/European version has the US soundtrack for Sonic CD, whilst the Japanese version has the Japanese/Europe soundtracks.
- The hints for Sonic CD place the debug mode sound test code with the other hidden pictures.
- The water in Tidal Tempest in all time zones is clear. On the Mega CD and PC versions, the water was colored differently in all time zones (Present was green, Past was brown, Good Future was cyan, and Bad Future was red). The reason for the clear water is because this is a port of PC version. The PC version used 256-color mode, which uses a palette, similar to the original Mega Drive VDP. Consoles with modern GPUs don't properly support palette effects, so instead of rewriting it to work correctly, the palette effects were simply dropped.
Sonic the Fighters
When originally released in arcades in the US and Europe, it was renamed Sonic Championship. In Gems Collection, the title of Sonic the Fighters was used for every region. Model data of all unused characters was removed. Character data still exists, but upon selection, the game crashes due to missing models.
Due to the limited amount of controller slots on the PS2, Sonic R's multiplayer mode was reduced to two players from the possible four on the PC version. The GCN version preserves the four player capability from the PC version. The draw distance is greatly improved over previous versions.
|Main article: Sonic Gems Collection manuals|
Chief Producer: Yuji Naka, Akinori Nishiyama
Producer: Yojiro Ogawa
Director: Mizuki Hosoyamada
Game Designer: Makoto Hirata
Programmer: Makoto Suzuki, Takahiro Sekiguchi
Interface Designer: Takashi Ishihara
Graphic Designer: Hideaki Moriya, Hisae Jibiki, Takanobu Kimura
Illustrator: Yuji Uekawa
Sound Director: Naofumi Hataya
Sound Creator: Tatsuyuki Maeda, Takenobu Mitsuyoshi, Tomonori Sawada, Takeshi Isozaki
Special Thanks: Takashi Iizuka, Kazuyuki Hoshino, Emiko Fujii, Shinobu Yokota, Akari Uchida
Sega of Japan, Inc.
Sales Promotion: Takayoshi Ohuchi, Yasushi Nagumo, Mariko Takeda, Yoko Nagasawa
Product Producer: Hiroyuki Miyazaki, Koki Akiyama
Internal Business & Product Development: Tatsuyuki Miyazaki, Tatsuya Shikata, Shinobu Shindo, Shiko Sakai, Yuri Maita
Design Production Team: Yoshihiro Sakuta, Youichi Takahashi, Chieko Nakamura, Makoto Nishino, Ayako Sakai, Hisakazu Nakagawa, Satoru Ishigami, Tetsuya Honda
Product Test: Junichi Shimizu, Akira Nishikawa, Kazuhiko Morii, Akira Terasawa, Kenji Takano, Yuji Nakamura, Takashi Shimogaito, Masato Bandou
Special Thanks: Kazunori Yagi, Nobuyuki Inoue
Sonic the Fighters (Console Conversion Credits)
Director: Toru Kujirai
Supervisor: Hiroshi Kataoka
Programmers: Masanori Sato, Hajime Take, Yukinori Kaneko
Designer: Satoshi Fujinuma
Planner: Masahrio Katsuta
Sound Creator: Seiichi Hamada
Teat Team: Naoto Tomita
Special Thanks: Masanobu Kutomi, Yuji Miyata, Hiroshi Masui, Tatsutoshi Narita
Created By: Sega AM2
Sonic the Hedgehog CD (Console Conversion Credits)
Programmers: Yasuaki Takeya, Tetsuji Mukai
Assistant Programmer: Masahiro Harada
Technical Director: Katsuji Dojun
Created By: H.I.C Co. Ltd.
Sonic R (Console Conversion Credits)
Lead Programmer: James Cunliffe
Lead Artist: Dave Burton
Head Artist: James Cunliffe
Console Conversion: Steve Monks
Additional Programmers: John Hodskinson, Stephen Harding, Andy Holdroyd
Additional Art: Leon Warren, Neil Allen, Will Thompson, Bev Bush
Created By: Traveller's Tales UK Ltd.
Sega of America, Inc.
CEO: Naoya Tsurumi
President: Simon Jeffery
Localization Producer: Martin Hunter Caplan
Director of Product Development: Osamu Shibamiya
QA Project Lead: Shawn Dobbins
Product Marketing Manager: Ami Matsumura-Blaire, Yosuke Moriya
VP of Entertainment Marketing: Scott A. Steinberg
Public Relations: Bret Blount, Ethan Einhorn
Special Thanks: Chris Olson, Bridget Oates
Sega Europe, Ltd.
CEO: Naoya Tsurumi
President & COO: Mike Hayes
Creative Director: Matt Woodley
QA Manager: Mark Le Breaton
QA Supervisor: Marlon Grant, Darius Sadeghian
Localization Producer: Kuniyo Matsumoto
Testers: Ben Andec, Lee Brown
Director of European Marketing: Gary Knight
Head Of Brand Marketing: Helen Nicholas
Product Manager: Claire Brummell
Executive Management: Hideki Okamura, Masanao Maeda, Yukio Sugino
Executive Producer: Hisao Oguchi
COMOLINK Inc.(Mega Drive & Genesis, Game Gear Console Conversion Credits)
Director: Hisatoku Yamada
Technical Programmer: Junji Takahashi
|Number of copies sold||Sega IR Reference||Platforms||Regions||Cumulative sales total|
|200,000||FY2006 2nd Quarter Appendix||N/A||Overseas (Outside Japan)||200,000|
PlayStation 2 version
|PlayStation 2, EX†|
- Sega of Japan catalogue pages (Japanese): GameCube, PlayStation 2
- Sonic Gems Collection on PlayStation.com: JP, KR
- Nintendo catalogue pages: JP, UK
- http://www.jp.playstation.com/software/title/slpm66074.html (archived: 2006-11-03 05:34)
- http://sega.jp/gc/sonicgem/ (archived: 2005-11-20 02:39)
- http://xbox.gamespy.com/articles/654/654750p2.html (archived: 2018-07-30 08:29)
- File:Sgc eraser.png
|Sonic Gems Collection|
|Sonic games for the following systems|
|2001 Sonic Adventure 2: Battle 2002 Sonic Mega Collection 2003 Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut | Sonic Heroes 2005 Sonic Gems Collection | Shadow the Hedgehog | Duo Pack: Sonic Heroes/Super Monkey Ball 2 2006 Sonic Riders|