Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island (Saturn tech demo)
From Sonic Retro
(Redirected from Sonic 3D (Saturn tech demo))
|Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island (Saturn tech demo)|
|Developer: Traveller's Tales|
|System(s): Sega Saturn|
The Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island Technical Demo for the Sega Saturn was released by drx during the February 23rd, 2008 proto release. This is one of only two prototypes to feature the fan dubbed Down Syndrome Sonic. The other prototype to feature him is the Genesis 825 beta.
- The main menu has a different texture. All the options are Start.
- Pressing Start will skip levels. Sometimes this will cause the game to lock up.
- They don't seem to have finished the controls yet - there's no analogue yet, and Spin Dash is buggy on 3D objects like the bridge. The control scheme is different, is Spin Dash, and and jump. On the final Saturn version, is Spin Dash, and jump.
- Sound and music is not fully implemented or is broken in this version. The Title screen plays the ring loss sound effect repeatedly. No music or sound effects are used during gameplay.
Graphic and Level
- This seems to be after they've started enhancing the game for the Saturn, but long before it got finished. Green Grove and Rusty Ruin have some (not all) effects, like the extra sprites and floors, 3D water and bridge, and so on, but the rest of the zones don't have any new graphics at all.
- The green flicky seems to only have one frame of animation, while others have all of theirs.
- The smaller flowers on the sides of the stage appear to be different.
- The small water pools appear... purple.
- Some levels are missing. Three acts (Diamond Dust 2 and both Volcano Valley 1 and 2) are missing outright. There are also no boss stages or special stages, which means that Knuckles and Tails steal the player's rings without giving anything in return.
- If you go into the little area at the start of Rusty Ruin Act 1 where the 1-Up is, the game will glitch and you'll be unable to move. You must then press to skip to the next level.
- Rusty Ruin Act 2 has a monitor that had a 100 on it. There was a shield of some sort there in the final. Around this time, whenever a shield was used, it would appear around the Flickies, but not around Sonic.
External LinksSonic Retro discussion thread
|Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island|