Sonic 2 Long Version
From Sonic Retro
|Fast Facts on Sonic 2 Long Version|
Sonic 2 Long Version (which is released alongside Sonic 2 & Knuckles Long Version) is a more complete version of Sonic 2, which makes it somewhat similar to Sonic 2 Delta. This hack features four levels originally scrapped during Sonic 2's development. No levels have been changed, only added. This hack was written in hex, without the aid of any special hacking programs, because the creator uses a Mac, and no hacking tools had been released on that platform at the time of development.
In order according to the level select menu, Sonic 2 Long Version's levels include:
- Emerald Hill Zone
- Chemical Plant Zone
- Aquatic Ruin Zone
- Casino Night Zone
- Hill Top Zone
- Wood Zone: The graphics are similar to what is seen in the Simon Wai prototype. It uses different background music (2 player Emerald Hill Zone). The boss is the same as Aquatic Ruin Zone's boss, but the stone columns are replaced with wooden totem poles and an extra pit has been added.
- Mystic Cave Zone
- Dust Hill Zone: Uses graphics similar to the mockup screenshot of Dust Hill Zone which was featured in many magazines. This version switches between both desert and winter settings. It's probably meant to be a fusion of Dust Hill Zone and the Winter level. The BGM used is from 2 player Mystic Cave Zone. The Emerald Hill Zone boss is reused for this level with no alterations, other than the animal ribs on the ground which act as spikes.
- Oil Ocean Zone
- Genocide City Zone: The graphics used are partially taken and modified from a the first stage of a SNES game called Spirou. The level has a night time setting with water on the bottom to replicate an underground city sewer. The BGM is different than what was on the Nick Arcade prototype (it is in fact the 2 player Casino Night Zone). This level is actually only one act repeated twice, with a boss at the end of Act 2. The Chemical Plant Zone boss is reused with no alterations made to him.
- Hidden Palace Zone: The graphics and layout are the same as those found in the Nick Arcade prototype. The BGM used is the same that was used in the Final version of Sonic 2. The Mystic Cave Zone boss is reused with no alterations made.
- Metropolis Zone
- Sky Chase Zone
- Wing Fortress Zone
- Death Egg Zone: Act 1 and Act 2 use the exact level layout and graphics from Chemical Plant Zone, but with a space background. Act 3 is Act 1 of the released version.
- The graphics may glitch for Hidden Palace Zone and Genocide City Zone , But the levels are still playable and Beatable.
- If the player runs to the door but does not go through, and then runs left in Death Egg Zone Act 3, Sonic's sprite will glitch for a moment and the player will lose 4 lives. This is for unknown reasons, but the player can acquire 251-255 lives in the process.
Download Sonic 2 Long Version