Sonic 2: Sweet Relief
From Sonic Retro
|Fast Facts on Sonic 2: Sweet Relief|
Sonic 2: Sweet Relief is a level and sprite layout hack of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for the Sega Master System presented by Ambil. The purpose of the project is to give an opportunity to people unable to pass the bosses as they have no rings in the original game, or simply are annoyed by this fact. Acts 1 and 2 of every zone haven't been changed.
The achievements of this hack is to include rings and items in the third act of every zone, which originally hadn't any. A new version released in 2011 contains:
- 3-digit ring counter. No more getting 100 rings and going back to zero. Getting hurt and ring bonus are fully functional.
- 2-digit life counter (thanks Ravenfreak). Originally the game allowed you to have more than 9 lives, but only displayed a "9". Now it works with two digits.
- 10-ring monitors now give you an extra life if you have 90-99 rings when getting them. In the original game, they didn't.
- Arrow monitor. Same as in Sonic 1, records your position and time and places you back there if you lose a life.
This is the first Sonic 2 level and sprite layout hack ever released, as there's no documentation in earlier projects.
- Under Ground Zone act 3: 42 rings and a 10-ring box
- Sky High Zone act 3: 24 rings
- Aqua Lake Zone act 3: 48 rings and an invincibility monitor
- Green Hills Zone act 3: 49 rings and an arrow monitor, also changed the layout so that a fall in spikes pit doesn't mean certain death
- Gimmick Mt. Zone act 3: 18 rings
- Scrambled Egg Zone act 3: 20 rings
- Crystal Egg Zone act 3: View it yourself!
- Ambil: main work
- Hivebrain for his Sonic 2 hacking guide
- Glitch for his disassembly and his helpful knowledge
- SGR for giving ideas for the project
- Ravenfreak for giving ideas for the project and useful code
- MK for the name of the hack
- Rolken for his level maps
|Download Sonic 2: Sweet Relief
File: S2SR.zip (204 kB) (info)
Current version: v.1.1
- Sonic 2: Sweet Relief topic at Sonic Retro.