This article is currently undergoing a cleanup.
Its contents may change completely and frequently until this notice is removed.
Sonic 2: S3 Editon is an assembly hack of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 by Alriightyman for the Sega Mega Drive. It places the levels of Sonic 2 into the engine of Sonic the Hedgehog 3; providing many of its features, including Act transitions, a Sonic 3 Save Screen, and Tails ability to fly.
- Title Screen has been changed to make it a bit more like Sonic 3K's.
- Knuckles is implemented, complete with all of his abilities from S&K.
- Sonic 3K data select screen is implemented.
- All item boxes from Sonic 3K are implemented.
- Sonic & Tails now use their sprites from Sonic 3K.
- Sonic can now perform his Double Jump actions from Sonic 3K.
- Tails can now fly/swim. However, he cannot pick up Sonic in "Sonic & Tails" mode.
- Super transformation is activated via pressing , , or twice, thus the Super transformation glitch at the end of levels is removed.
- There are now transitions between acts and zones.
- Emerald Hill and Chemical Plant now have mini-bosses between Act 1 and Act 2.
- Emerald Hill and Chemical Plant also have signposts at the end of act 1 that fall down from the top of the screen, and item boxes can be uncovered underground as in Sonic 3K.
- Some zones, such as Emerald Hill and Casino Night, have different Act 1 and Act 2 music.
- The 2P VS option is removed.
- For the zones with mini-bosses, S&K's mini-boss music was ported.
- The level select menu is now separate and not activated by pressing + on the "1 Player" option, a la Sonic 3.
- The HUD is changed so that it now displays the current powerup(s) you have (if you are Super Sonic/Super Knuckles, this is represented by an invincibility icon).
- As with many hacks which implement Knuckles into Sonic 2, if you glide and climb on the wall before the place where Knuckles is supposed to run down, Knuckles will get stuck there.
- In the special stages, something is interfering with Sonic. He flashes on and off, always showing his bottom shadow.
- Some zone transitions will lock the controls, not allowing the transition to happen. However, reseting the game will let you start at the next zone, as if nothing happened.
- Knuckles' underwater palette will sometimes change to a blue-ish tone, much like Sonic's.
- Knuckles' continue screen has apparent garbage tiles where something, maybe Tails, should be.
Release thread on the forums