- Back to: Sonic & Knuckles (prototype; 1994-05-25)/Comparisons.
Hidden Palace still has Sky Sanctuary music.
The secret monitor stash still contains an "S" monitor instead of Speed Shoes like the final.
There is still a Fire Shield next to the teleporter that takes you up to Knuckles, instead of the Super Ring that's there in the final.
Knuckles' boss fight still plays the Sonic 3 miniboss theme and still continues to play through the Master Emerald theft scene after Knuckles is defeated.
If fighting Knuckles as Super/Hyper Sonic, Knuckles won't take damage when standing next to him. You have to actually jump on him to register a hit. Sonic doesn't take damage from Knuckles' punches when Super/Hyper.
Beating Knuckles still doesn't cancel your Super/Hyper form.
When Knuckles is stopping Dr. Eggman, Sonic can't move at all there whereas Tails can. In the final, you can whack Eggman as much as you like (not that it helps).
The animation order for Knuckles punching the wall before the teleporter is different. He gestures for Sonic to follow after hitting the wall, instead of before.
You cannot control Tails in Hidden Palace after Knuckles is defeated.
Hidden Palace when accessed by a giant ring still has a number of differences from Sonic 3C 0517:
- Death Egg Act 2 music plays (this is due to it coming right after the Death Egg Final Boss level slot in the game).
- The intro plays every time you enter the chamber.
- The greyed-out Super Emerald locations don't save after you leave (They reappear after the intro).
- The laser zaps all the Super Emerald altars even if you already have that Emerald (Although it still shows that you have that Emerald).
- There are color differences in the prototype, probably changed so they could correspond with the colors of the Chaos Emeralds.