Sonic: Scorched Quest
From Sonic Retro
|Fast Facts on Sonic: Scorched Quest|
Sonic: Scorched Quest (formerly known as Sonic 1: Burned Edition) is a hack created by Team Painto of Sonic the Hedgehog on the Sega Mega Drive, which shows one of Sonic's adventures after the events of Sonic CD on South Island. The actual version is the pre-final one, so the next release will be a (probably) finished product. This hack is also largely recognized by the community after being the multi-trophy winner of the Sonic Hacking Contest 2016.
Shortly after defeating Eggman in Metallic Madness, Sonic decided to head back to South Island. But it seems Eggman has already arrived at the island before him...
In his old base, he studies the hypothetically called "Flame Emeralds", which he have discovered from an alternate dimension. They're seven powerful stones, and can control all types of fire. By then, Eggman decided to built a machine which would let him to open a portal from Green Hill to that dimension to get them all, but... nothing happened. And this angered him a lot, causing himself to destroy his machine due to his fit of rage. However, it seems that in doing this, he accidentally opened the portal, allowing one of the emeralds to come through...
"Mwahaha! Finally I can make my plans reality, and there's no hedgehog to stop me!", said Eggman and returned to Scrap Brain very happy. "Now only to find the rest..."
Sonic then soon lands near home. Everything seems to be fine, but then he hears screams of his animal friends! Knowing who had caused this, he ran once again through Green Hill to check it.
Sonic the Hedgehog is a 15 year old blue hedgehog who lives in no particular locale on the planet Earth, instead choosing to travel the world looking for fun and adventure wherever he goes. While he may be a drifter, that doesn't mean he only cares about himself. Sonic is known for his 'attitude', which is shown through his smugness and sarcasm. Sonic sometimes likes to show off in order to 'look cool'. He is often shown posing or adjusting his gloves or shoes. He is also often noted to be impatient and sometimes have a hot temper.
The grandson of Professor Gerald Robotnik, Dr. Eggman was born as Ivo Robotnik. While much of his past remains a mystery, it is known that in his early years Eggman looked up to his grandfather, hoping to one day be as great a scientist as Gerald ever was. It was later on in life that Dr. Robotnik would meet his long-time rival and arch-nemesis Sonic the Hedgehog. While he could be anything, Dr. Eggman has set his sights on the highest prize of them all - global domination. Dreaming of the day he will be able to erect Eggmanland, Eggman tires endlessly at accomplishing this, though his plans are foiled time and again by the blue blur himself, Sonic the Hedgehog.
Created by Dr. Eggman, Metal Sonic was designed to accomplish what Eggman had failed to do - defeat Sonic the Hedgehog. He was meant to be not just Sonic's equal, but surpass him. Using a custom chipset and A.I. developed by Dr. Eggman, the doctor devoted much more attention to Metal than any of the other members in his robot army. And after being defeated in Little Planet, Metal is ready once again to stop Sonic at all cost.
- 6 out of 7 planned playable zones: Burning Hill Zone, Roasting Marble Zone, Flame Yard Zone (2 acts), Boiling Labyrinth Zone, Fire Light Zone (2 acts) and Molten Brain Zone (2 acts).
- Each zone consists of 3 acts and a boss act. Each act, except FYZ2, is finished with a mini-boss battle.
- S3&K-inspired cutscenes in some places for storyline purposes.
- 6 new Special Stages being a mix between Sonic 1 8-bit Bonus Stages and S2 ring collecting system, as well as other elements. Each stage, except the last one, has 3 sections.
- New soundtrack with songs made by the team.
- Level select menu unlocked after entering a cheat (enter Knuckles in Sonic 2 cheat while holding A) then A+Start. In level select, select a sound between 00 and 05, to play a specific Special Stage. The cheat won't work in the final version.
- Other features left to you to discover during gameplay.
- Sometimes, few objects or rings in Special Stages may disappear (sprite/object limit), but the stages are perfectly completable even when this happens. They will appear however if you go offscreen after collection some rings.
- Very very rarely, there may occur an error in Special Stage 5 after hitting a big spikeball, but it happens really rarely.
- MBZ1 background gets little messed when returning from checkpoint.
Planned features (Final version)
Features which didn't made it to this version but will appear in the final:
- Obviously finishing the rest of levels.
- Adding a special attack for Burning Sonic.
- Save feature and main menu.
- Time attack mode.
- Sound Test menu.
- Possibly other minor features.
|Download Sonic: Scorched Quest
File: Sonic_Scorched_Quest_-_SHC'16_version.rar (744 kB) (info)
Current version: SHC'16 pre-final
These will fully appear in final release, rights to used tools and things belong to their official authors and weren't made by the team.
- Layouts: Painto, Abyssal Leopard (FLZ1&2; MBZ2), AsuharaMoon (FYZ2)
- Bosses: Painto
- Music: LuigiXHero, Bakayote, Painto
- Additional art: Spriters Resource, AsuharaMoon, Abyssal Leopard
- Additional coding: Painto, AsuharaMoon
- Special thanks: ASH - final betatesting