From Sonic Retro
- This page is about the Sonic Text Editor. For the scener who calls himself STE, see User:STE.
This page describes an obsolete hacking tool that should not be used for new hacks/projects or with new disassemblies/tools.
This page (and associated files) is being kept for historical purposes only, as it documents and archives the history of the Sonic scene.
|System: Microsoft Windows|
| Supported Games: Sonic 1, Sonic 2 Beta, Sonic 2, Sonic 3,|
Sonic & Knuckles, Blue Sphere, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Sonic 3D,
Knuckles' Chaotix, Ristar, Zero Wing, Sonic Adventure DX PC
STE (or Sonic Text Editor, known more often by its initials due to the ability to edit other games) is a text editing tool, used for editing the text inside Sonic games, or any game that the user creates an STE compatible template file for. It was created by and is maintained by Overlord. He is rumoured to be considering making a new version of the tool - removing its existing limits and finally reaching the point where adding new games is not limited by the application itself. The latest version of the tool available is 1.10, and also contains the last version of his SA:DX PC Text Editor tool.
File: Ste1.10.7z (322 kB) (info)
Current version: 1.10
Note you will need the VB6 runtimes for this program to work. If you get an error on starting STE or trying to click Launch!, you might need these .ocx files: TABCTL32.OCX and/or COMDLG32.OCX. They can be found here  and here . It currently does not work on some computers.
As of 1.10, STE supports (at least partially) the following titles:
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Wai Beta
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2
- Sonic the Hedgehog 3
- Sonic & Knuckles
- Sonic 1 & Knuckles (Blue Sphere), as well as any ROM successfully Locked-On to a S&K ROM that makes a Blue Sphere game
- Sonic 3 & Knuckles
- Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island
- Knuckles' Chaotix (NTSC & PAL)
- Ristar (UE & J)
- Zero Wing
- Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut for PC (European and Japanese only)
Also embedded into the application are the previously-separate Mega Drive ROM Header Editor and GBA ROM Header Editor utilities.
Potential future versions of STE may feature:
- A new GUI
- A more flexible template format
- S3D, S3&K & S&K editable credits in their templates
- STE template creation tool
- More complete SA:DX PC support
- More templates