Since the games in the collection were modified for use on the Nintendo DS, some cheat codes that worked in the Mega Drive originals do not work here.
All cheats work in the following games as these games used button combinations to unlock cheats:
In the following games, almost none of the cheat codes work because the roms were modified for use on the DS, disabling options menus that enabled cheats in Sonic the Hedgehog 2:
- Sonic the Hedgehog (All of the original cheats work in Sonic the Hedgehog in Sonic Classic Collection except you have to use the Y button instead of the A and C buttons.
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (The only cheats that work for Sonic 2 in Classic Collection is the "Change Tails' name to Miles in the HUD" cheat) and the level select code in Knuckles in Sonic 2 by using the Y button instead of the A button.
- Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (Level Select code can be entered but it is not possible to press after the code is enabled as needed.)
- Sonic 3 & Knuckles (Level Select code can be entered but it is not possible to press after the code is enabled as needed. It is possible however to hold Y after you get a game over to be able to access the ability to use DEBUG MODE the original way at Mushroom Hill Zone)
- Sonic & Knuckles The level select cheat is still enabled, but requires the player to get a Game Over or finish the game to use it.
Action Replay codes exist, which allows one to enter the level select screens.