Big's Fishing Derby
From Sonic Retro
|Fast Facts on Big's Fishing Derby|
Big's Fishing Derby (ビッグの 釣りダービー) is a hack of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for the Sega Mega Drive by flamewing that allows the player to play as Big the Cat on various fishing levels. Platforming is gone and the game takes place by a series of bodies of water where the player must catch Froggy while avoiding hooking underwater badniks. A second player can also play Eggman, and he competes with Big in the race to catch Froggy.
Originally intended to be a secret mini-game in Sonic Classic Heroes, the idea grew beyond its original inception and ended up becoming a game of its own.
- to increase or to decrease the length of the fishing line (i.e., the vertical position of the hook).
- and to move the hook horizontally. The hook will move back to the center when neither is pressed.
- Change the selected power-up.
- Use the selected power-up to attack or hinder your opponent (if any). This does nothing in single player mode unless Eggman is on-screen.
- Use the selected power-up to help yourself.
- Single player:
- Time Attack: Race against the clock to save Froggy! You have 10 minutes to finish all zones; if you fail, it is game over. To compensate, there are no distractions in this mode.
- Arcade mode: Battle Eggman's robotic army with limited lives, limited time and ever increasing difficulty to save Froggy! Also features boss fights.
- Random levels: Instead of always following the same level order, the game decides on a random level order.
- Best <M> out of <N>: Instead of going through all zones for each round against Eggman, play only a selection of levels, with simple majority winning the game.
- Zen Mode: No lives, no time, no pressure: just fishing. Defaults to single player mode, but allows optional join-in of a second player on a per-level basis.
You gain power-ups by fishing out badniks.
- Revision $21A, with a few minor internal fixes.
- Revision $214, fixing a crash when displaying results.
- Revision $20E, fixing rare real-hardware DMA glitches.
- Revision $20D, first post-2015 Sonic Hacking Contest update.
- Revision $200, the 2015 Sonic Hacking Contest version.
- Revision $D9 which fixes input issue in real hardware.
|Download Big's Fishing Derby
File: BigsFishingDerby-v1.05.021a.zip (408 kB) (info)
Current version: 1.05.021a
- Big's Fishing Derby, v1.05.0214 (info) (378 kB)
- Big's Fishing Derby, v1.05.020e (info) (378 kB)
- Big's Fishing Derby, v1.05.020d (info) (378 kB)
- Big's Fishing Derby, v1.05.0200 (info) (378 kB)
- Big's Fishing Derby, v0.10.00d9 (info) (243 kB)
- Big's Fishing Derby, v0.10.00d8 (info) (243 kB)